|Promulgation of new regulation banning concealed firearms in executive branch agency offices
|Ended on 1/27/2016
The Governor's proposed regulation to ban guns from government and public spaces will have the opposite of the intended affect by playing into the hands of terrorists, violent criminals, and the criminally insane. We have had no shootings in state agencies and this prohibition on those with a concealed handgun permit, some of whom have active and ongoing threats to their lives, is entirely without any justification and needlessly and recklessly endangers innocent lives. No one can predict when or where or how a criminal will attack his or her victims, and removing the best tool from law-abiding citizens is incredibly foolish. You wouldn't want the military to face enemy nations unarmed; or the police to serve warrants or attempt to arrest anyone without guns to protect themselves---why would anyone believe it would be right and moral to strip us of our rights under both the Constitutions of the United States and Virginia?
Please consider the following facts:
* All but two of the public massacres since 1950 had been committed by criminals and terrorists in “gun-free zones,” which is exactly what this regulation creates
* Off-duty police officers are also prevented from carrying
* Bans in rest stops send a very uninviting message to, and endanger the lives of, interstate travelers
* The cost of providing additional security to protect everyone who has been disarmed by this regulation will be prohibitive
* The ban won’t hold up in court, due to lack of authority by the Governor
* If parking lots are included in the ban, then citizens will be disarmed to and from their residences and everywhere in between
Disarming good citizens (who are the only ones likely to obey the prohibition) does not make them safer.
Importantly the Governor has no authority for this regulation. If the General Assembly wanted the Governor to have such power, they would have granted it to him explicitly, as is required constitutionally.
This proposed regulation is a solution for which there is no problem. It endangers state employees, law abiding citizens, and the innocent by making state buildings a safe zone for terrorists, criminals, and the criminally insane to conduct their evil and savage actions.
This regulations should not be approved and the emergency regulation withdrawn. Please do not play politics with my---or your---life. You have this golden opportunity to do the right thing and demonstrate to the rest of the United States that we are not afraid, but we are prepared.
Please extended the comment period for another 30 days.