|Action||General Review 2014|
|Comment Period||Ends 2/22/2017|
18VAC160-40-515 Contract required
Consumer tips from DPOR (as taken from DPOR website)
make sure your contractor measures up
1. Hire only licensed contractors .
2. Verify license status online at www.dpor. virginia.gov /LicenseLookup or cal l (804) 367- 8511 .
3. Check references + past work.
4. Get at least three estimates.
5. Insist on a written contract and don’t sign anything until you completely understand the terms.
6. Limit your deposit to 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less. (Up to 30% of total contract value in case of custom -made items .)
7. Don’t let your payments get ahead of the work.
8. Don’t pay 100% of the bill until the work is 100% complete .
9. Never pay cash.
10. Keep a file of all payments and papers relating to your project (change orders, warranties, etc .).
Could we create language for operators and onsite soil evaluators that would require a contract. Contracts are meant to protect the consumer and will clean up the industry. Protecting the public is our number one goal.