18VAC76-20-40. Standards for the manner and format of reports and a schedule for reporting.
A. Data shall be transmitted to the department or its agent
within seven days of dispensing as provided in the Electronic Reporting
Standard for Prescription Monitoring Programs, Version
4.1 (November 2009)
4.2 (September 2011) of the American Society of Automation in Pharmacy
(ASAP), which are hereby incorporated by reference into this chapter.
B. Data shall be transmitted in a file layout provided by the
department and shall be transmitted by a media acceptable to the vendor
contracted by the director for the program. Such transmission shall begin on a
date specified by the director, no less than
30 90 days from
notification by the director to dispensers required to report.
C. Under extraordinary circumstances, an alternative means of reporting may be approved by the director.
D. Data not accepted by the vendor due to a substantial number of errors or omissions shall be corrected and resubmitted to the vendor within five business days of receiving notification that the submitted data had an unacceptable number of errors or problems.
E. Required data elements shall include those listed in subsection B of § 54.1-2521 of the Code of Virginia and the following:
1. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration number of the dispenser;
2. The National Provider Identifier of the prescriber;
3. The total number of refills ordered;
3. 4. Whether the prescription is a new
prescription or a refill; and
5. Whether the prescription is a partial fill;
6. The gender code;
7. The species code;
8. The Electronic Prescription Reference Number, and the Electronic Prescription Order Number if it is an electronic prescription; and
4. 9. The date the prescription was written by
DOCUMENTS INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE (18VAC76-20)
Implementation Guide ASAP Standard (Electronic Reporting
Standard) for Prescription Monitoring Programs, Version 4, Release
November 2009 September 2011, American Society for Automation in
Pharmacy, 492 Norristown Road, Suite 160, Blue Bell, PA 19422 (http://www.asapnet.org).