Agencies | Governor
Virginia Regulatory Town Hall
Agency
Department of Health Professions
 
Board
Board of Nursing
 
chapter
Regulations of the Board of Nursing [Repealed] [18 VAC 90 ‑ 20]
Previous Comment     Back to List of Comments
11/9/16  12:58 pm
Commenter: Janet Wall, CEO, Virginia Nurses Association

Virginia Nurses Association (VNA) IN FAVOR of First Name, Last Initial name badge petition
 

The workplace climate is not what it used to be and, with the advancement of technology and popularity of social media, nurses' personal information is too easily accessible. We concur with the petitioner that a change in the regulations re: workplace identification badges is necessitated, and agree that ID badges should include only First Name and Last Initial.

In a survey we conducted of nurses throughout the Commonwealth (n=320), 81% agreed with the petitioner's recommendation. The remaining 19% felt the ID badges should remain unchanged (including both full first and last names). Of the 81% in support of change, concerns with safety and an increase in stalking were cited time and again. At a time when more patients and/or their family members seem to be attempting contact with nursing staff outside of work hours, this measure would offer a level of confidentiality and potentially reduce unwelcome contact and targeted violence.

First Name / Last Initial identification should also prove sufficient for management / administration to correctly identify a nurse being referenced by a patient / family member.

I'm happy to share the aggregate results of our survey and blinded comments with the Board of Nursing. Please note that we also encouraged nurses to offer comments through the formal process, and provided them with the link to this web page.

CommentID: 55675