Virginia Regulatory Town Hall
Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
Board for Hearing Aid Specialists and Opticians
Hearing Aid Specialists Regulations [18 VAC 80 ‑ 20]
Action Amendments to Board for Hearing Aid Specialists Regulations 2012
Comment Period Ended on 3/14/2012
Previous Comment     Next Comment     Back to List of Comments
3/13/12  10:52 pm
Commenter: The Audiology Offices, LLC

Audiologist should not have to sit for the hearing aid specialist examination


The Virginia Department of Health Professions issues the license for qualified audiologists to practice in the Commonwealth. This office recognizes an American Speech, Language and Hearing Association (ASHA) certified audiologist is qualified to hold a license to practice audiology in Virginia. An audiologist who has earned the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) from ASHA has completed four years of comprehensive hearing and audiology courses and internship training. In addition they have completed 2-4 years of advanced training.  In addition they have competed a comprehensive clinical fellowship year and passed a NATIONAL CERTIFICATION WRTTEN EXAMINATION. Audiologist who are qualified to hold a license to practice audiology have the education, clinical training, and professional experience to diagnose hearing loss, select and fit proper amplification for hearing impaired individuals. Holding an advanced degree at the masters and doctoral level, an audiologist does not need to take an exam to demonstrate they understand the rules and regulations of the Hearing Aid Specialist Board. It is my understanding the requirement to take a written exam was the result of a successful lobby effort by hearing aid specialists years ago when audiologist began to fit individuals with hearing instruments. It is my opinion the requirement that audiologist take a written examination should be removed.
When I have practiced audiology in Maryland and the District of Columbia the scope of the audiology license included the diagnosis and fitting of amplification. Given the advanced training audiologist have completed, it is my opinion audiologist should not need to hold hearing aid specialist license.
Dr. Ann DePaolo, CCC-A, FAAA
ASHA Certified Audiologist
Kilmarnock, VA
CommentID: 23523