Virginia Regulatory Town Hall
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Charitable Gaming
Charitable Gaming Regulations [11 VAC 20 ‑ 20]
Action Promulgation of Charitable Gaming Regulations by Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, including electronic gaming provisions
Stage Proposed
Comment Period Ended on 11/23/2022
Previous Comment     Next Comment     Back to List of Comments
11/2/22  11:24 am
Commenter: Kenneth Niman Massanutten Fraternal Order of Eagles #4186

40% State Requirement + 10% Federal Requirement = $0
To be considered non-profit, the Federal Government requires Fraternal Organizations like ours to give 10% of our profits to charity. Now the Virginia State Government is requiring us to give another 40% of our electronic charitable gaming profits to charity making the total percentage 50%. Let me put this into perspective... $2,000 charitable gaming Gross Income 10% (Federal requirement) + 40% (Virginia State requirement) = 50% 50% of $2,000 is $1,000 50/50 split with Grover Gaming is $1,000 - $1,000 to Charity (50%) - $1,000 to Grover Gaming leaves us with $0 of the $2,000. Operation costs for electronic charitable gaming (wages, electric, trash disposal, cleaning supplies) puts us in the negative to have electronic charitable gaming netting us $0. If I am reading this law wrong please clarify because if this is the way the law is going to be then I cannot see any reason for us to have electronic charitable gaming which is going to kill our club.
CommentID: 204085