|Action||Adopt new standards for licensed private child-placing agencies.|
|Comment Period||Ends 4/1/2011|
I am a volunteer (unpaid) provider of child care on an emergency basis. I see how fragile children become when not cared for by loving parents. Children need stability and don't want to grow up in an "alternative life-style." They crave to grow up like their classmates in a traditional family.
I hope Virginia does not change its adoption laws to pander to political interests and for politicians to access another funding base. The proposed Virginia adoption changes include
1. Virginia legal authority to require agencies to accept applicants whose sexual orientation behavior may include grounds for divorce from the bond of matrimony (VA Code § 20-91);
2. Virginia legal authority to add "sexual orientation" to the Commonwealth’s discrimination statutes;
3. Virginia legal authority to compel compliance by adoption agencies, whether or not faith-based, to process applicants whose behavior is rejected as immoral by the Old and New Testaments;
4. Proof that this new policy complies with Virginia Supreme Court decisions;
5. Peer review social science and other literature and research including longitudinal or long term research explaining why children should be placed for adoption by persons regardless of their sexual orientation.
6. Economic impact on state revenues should faith-based adoption agencies suspend their adoption programs because of policies they consider immoral, unethical or harmful to the development and welfare of children.
Perhaps allowing older couplesand singles to adopt children would provide enough loving homes for all children who are awaiting adoption.