REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE REGISTRATION OF SURGICAL ASSISTANTS AND SURGICAL TECHNOLOGISTS
The following word and term when used in this chapter shall have the following meaning unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
"Board" means the Virginia Board of Medicine.
18VAC85-160-20. Public participation.
A separate regulation, 18VAC85-10, Public Participation Guidelines, provides for involvement of the public in the development of all regulations of the Virginia Board of Medicine.
18VAC85-160-30. Current name and address.
Each registrant shall furnish the board his current name and address of record. All notices required by law or by this chapter given by the board to any such registrant shall be validly given when mailed to the latest address of record provided or served to the registrant. Any change of name or address of record or public address, if different from the address of record, shall be furnished to the board within 30 days of such change.
A. The following fees have been established by the board:
1. The fee for registration as a surgical assistant or surgical technologist shall be $75.
2. The fee for renewal of registration shall be $70. Renewals shall be due in the birth month of the registrant in each even-numbered year.
3. The additional fee for processing a late renewal application within one renewal cycle shall be $25.
4. The fee for a returned check shall be $35.
B. Unless otherwise provided, fees established by the board are not refundable.
18VAC85-160-50. Requirements for registration.
A. An applicant for registration shall submit a completed application and a fee as prescribed in 18VAC85-160-40 on forms provided by the board.
B. An applicant for registration as a surgical assistant shall provide evidence of:
1. A current credential as a surgical assistant or surgical first assistant issued by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting, the National Surgical Assistant Association, or the National Commission for Certification of Surgical Assistants or their successors;
2. Successful completion of a surgical assistant training program during the applicant's service as a member of any branch of the armed forces of the United States; or
3. Practice as a surgical assistant at any time in the six months prior to July 1, 2014, provided the applicant registers with the board by July 1, 2015.
C. An applicant for registration as a surgical technologist shall provide evidence of:
1. A current credential as a certified surgical technologist from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting or its successor; or
2. Successful completion of a surgical technologist training program during the applicant's service as a member of any branch of the armed forces of the United States; or
3. Practice as a surgical technologist at any time in the six months prior to July 1, 2014, provided the applicant registers with the board by July 1, 2015.