A. Pursuant to the requirements of §§ 24.2-467, 24.2-702.1, and 24.2-706 of the Code of Virginia, a timely received write-in absentee ballot on a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) (Form SF-186) should not be rendered invalid if it contains an error or omission not material to determining the eligibility of the applicant to vote in the election in which he offers to vote.
B. If the applicant is not registered, the FWAB may not be accepted as timely for registration unless the applicant has met the applicable registration deadline. Section 24.2-419 of the Code of Virginia extends the mail registration deadline for certain military applicants. All applications requesting mailed ballots are subject to the mail absentee application deadline in §§ 24.2-459 and 24.2-701 of the Code of Virginia.
C. The following omissions are always material and any FWAB containing such omissions should be rendered invalid if on the declaration/affirmation any of the following, or combination thereof, exists:
1. The applicant has omitted the signature of the voter or the notation of an assistant in the voter signature box that the voter is unable to sign;
2. The applicant has omitted the signature of the witness, except during a declared state of emergency related to a communicable disease of public health threat pursuant to §24.2-707 of the Code of Virginia;
3. The applicant did not include the declaration/affirmation page; or
4. The applicant omitted from the declaration/affirmation information required by § 24.2-702.1 of the Code of Virginia needed to determine identity or eligibility including, but not limited to, current military or overseas address.
D. The ballot should not be rendered invalid if on the FWAB any of the following, or combination thereof, exists:
1. The applicant has not listed the names specifically in the order of last, first, and middle name;
2. The applicant has listed a middle initial or maiden name, instead of the full middle name;
3. The applicant has omitted the street identifier, such as the term "road" or "street," when filling in the legal residence;
4. The applicant has omitted the county or city of registration if the county or city is clearly identifiable by the residence address information provided;
5. The applicant has omitted the zip code;
6. The applicant has omitted the date of the signature of the voter;
7. The applicant has omitted the address of the witness;
8. The applicant has omitted the date of signature of the witness;
9. The applicant did not seal the ballot within the security envelope so long as the outside envelope containing the ballot and the voter's declaration/affirmation page arrived sealed; or
10. The applicant has submitted a ballot containing offices or issues for which he is not eligible.