12VAC30-60-5. Applicability of utilization review requirements.
A. These utilization requirements shall apply to all Medicaid covered services unless otherwise specified.
B. Some Medicaid covered services require an approved service
authorization prior to service delivery in order for reimbursement to occur.
1. To obtain service authorization, all providers' information
supplied to the Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS), service
authorization contractor, or the behavioral health service authorization
contractor shall be fully substantiated throughout individuals' medical
records. 2. C. Providers shall be required to maintain
documentation detailing all relevant information about the Medicaid individuals
who are in providers' care. Such documentation shall fully disclose the extent
of services provided in order to support providers' claims for reimbursement
for services rendered. This documentation shall be written, signed, and dated
at the time the services are rendered unless specified otherwise.
D. Providers shall maintain documentation that demonstrates that individuals providing services have the required qualifications established by DMAS, the Department of Health Professions (DHP), or the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS).
C. E. DMAS, or its designee, shall perform
reviews of the utilization of all Medicaid covered services pursuant to 42 CFR
440.260 and 42 CFR Part 456. D. F. DMAS shall recover expenditures made for
covered services when providers' documentation does not comport with standards
specified in all applicable regulations. E. G. Providers who are determined not to be in
compliance with DMAS requirements shall be subject to 12VAC30-80-130 for the
repayment of those overpayments to DMAS. F. H. Utilization review requirements specific
to community mental health services, as set out in 12VAC30-50-130 and
12VAC30-50-226, shall be as follows:
1. To apply to be reimbursed as a Medicaid provider, the
Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS )
license shall be either a full, annual, triennial, or conditional license.
Providers must be enrolled with DMAS or the BHSA to be reimbursed. Once a
health care entity has been enrolled as a provider, it shall maintain, and
update periodically as DMAS requires, a current Provider Enrollment Agreement
for each Medicaid service that the provider offers.
2. Health care entities with provisional licenses issued by
DBHDS shall not be reimbursed as Medicaid providers
of community mental
3. Payments shall not be permitted to health care entities that either hold provisional licenses or fail to enter into a Medicaid Provider Enrollment Agreement for a service prior to rendering that service.
4. The behavioral health service authorization contractor shall apply a national standardized set of medical necessity criteria in use in the industry, such as McKesson InterQual Criteria, or an equivalent standard authorized in advance by DMAS. Services that fail to meet medical necessity criteria shall be denied service authorization.
5. Service providers shall maintain documentation to establish that services are rendered by individuals with appropriate qualifications and credentials, including proof of licensure or registration through DHP if applicable. QMHP-Es shall maintain documentation of supervision and of progress toward the requirements for DHP registration as a QMHP-C or progress toward the requirements for DHP registration as a QMHP-A.