DEPARTMENT OF FORENSIC SCIENCE
Approved Breath Alcohol Testing Devices
This list of approved breath alcohol testing devices replaces the list published in the Virginia Register (84:17) January 25, 2019.
Statutory Authority: §§ 9.1-1101, 18.2-267 and 18.2-268.9 of the Code of Virginia.
In accordance with 6VAC40-20-90 of the Regulations for Breath Alcohol Testing and under the authority of the Code of Virginia, the following breath test device is approved for use in conducting breath tests:
The Intox EC/IR II with the Virginia test protocol, manufactured by Intoximeters, Inc., St. Louis, Missouri, utilizing an external printer.
In accordance with 6VAC40-20-100 of the Regulations for Breath Alcohol Testing and under the authority of the Code of Virginia, for evidential breath test devices, mouthpieces that are compatible with the specific testing device are approved as supplies for use in conducting breath tests on approved breath test devices.
In accordance with 6VAC40-20-180 of the Regulations for Breath Alcohol Testing and under the authority of the Code of Virginia, the following devices are approved for use as preliminary breath test devices:
1. The ALCO-SENSOR, ALCO-SENSOR II, ALCOSENSOR III, ALCO-SENSOR IV, ALCO-SENSOR VXL, ALCO-SENSOR FST, and ALCO-SENSOR FST (serial numbers 200,000 and higher) manufactured by Intoximeters, Inc., St Louis, Missouri.
2. The CMI SD 2 and INTOXILYZER 400PA, manufactured by Lion Laboratories, Barry, United Kingdom.
3. The CMI SD 5, INTOXILYZER 500, and INTOXILYZER 800 manufactured by CMI, Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky.
4. The LIFELOC PBA 3000*, LIFELOC FC10, LIFELOC FC10Plus and LIFELOC FC20, manufactured by Lifeloc Inc., Wheat Ridge, Colorado. *When used in the direct sensing mode only.
5. The ALCOTEST 5510, ALCOTEST 5820, ALCOTEST 6000, ALCOTEST 6510, ALCOTEST 6810, ALCOTEST 6820, and ALCOTEST 7000 manufactured by Draeger Safety Diagnostics, Inc., Durango, Colorado.
6. The ALCOVISOR JUPITER, ALCOVISOR MERCURY and MARK V, manufactured by PAS Systems International, Inc., Fredericksburg, Virginia.