COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL ASSISTANCE SERVICES
NOTICE OF INTENT TO AMEND
(pursuant to §1902(a)(13) of the Act (U.S.C. 1396a(a)(13))
THE VIRGINIA STATE PLAN FOR FAMLY MEDICAL INSURANCE SECURITY (FAMIS)
The Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) hereby affords the public notice of its intention to amend the Virginia State Plan for Family Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS), specifically, the FAMIS MOMS program and the FAMIS Select program. The Department intends to implement a number of changes for these programs, as directed by the federal authority the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). CMS oversees state Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) as established by § 2101 of the Social Security Act [42 U.S.C. 1397aa]. DMAS is renewing the federal waivers for these programs and anticipates changes based upon input from CMS. The FAMIS MOMS and FAMIS Select programs are authorized by CMS under an 1115(a) demonstration waiver that expires June 30, 2010. DMAS may request continuation and expansion of the demonstration beyond this date. One requirement for continuation is to obtain input from all interested parties regarding the possibility of continuation of the demonstration program. CMS is expected to require some changes as a condition of continuation of the waiver.
FAMIS Select is an optional program available to children determined eligible for Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS), whereby the Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) provides premium assistance to the family to cover the child through a private or employer-sponsored health plan instead of directly through the FAMIS program. No changes to this program are anticipated. Wrap-around coverage will continue to be provided for immunizations only.
FAMIS MOMS provides health care coverage for pregnant women without creditable insurance coverage in families with income above the Medicaid limit of 133% of the federal poverty level (FPL) up to and including 200% FPL. DMAS anticipates no change in the following policies:
· FAMIS MOMS will continue to provide coverage with federal reimbursement at the Title XXI rate for pregnant women without creditable insurance coverage in families with income above the Medicaid limit of 133% FPL up to and including 200% FPL.
· FAMIS MOMS will continue to use Medicaid methodology for determining income eligibility.
· FAMIS MOMS will continue to provide benefits that are identical to benefits provided to pregnant women under the Medicaid state plan.
DMAS anticipates the following changes to the FAMIS MOMS program:
- Applicants will be required to provide documentation of citizenship and identity. DMAS plans to implement this requirement through a separate regulatory action effective January 1, 2010, as mandated in Section 211 of the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) of 2009 (Public Law 111-3).
- Applicants will be required to provide their Social Security number in order to facilitate compliance with the new requirement to document citizenship.
- Infants born to FAMIS MOMS will be deemed eligible for FAMIS coverage for the first year of life.
This notice is intended to satisfy the State Notice Procedures set forth in Vol. 59, No. 186 of the Federal Register (September 27, 1994). A copy of this notice is available for public review from Molly Carpenter at Department of Medical Assistance Services, 600 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219, telephone: (804) 786-1493, fax: (804) 225-3961, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
and this notice is available for public review on the Regulatory Town Hall (www.townhall.com
). Comments or inquiries may be submitted, in writing, within 30 days of this notice publication to Ms. Carpenter and such comments are available for review at the same address.