|Action||Update the Uniform Statewide Building Code|
|Comment Period||Ends 5/26/2017|
MFVN (telco POTS) MFVN (telco digital) MFVN (telco VoIP) MFVN (cable VoIP) PSTN Alarm Panel Alarm Panel Alarm Panel Alarm Panel NFPA 72 2010 defines the performance requirements required at the service interface or demarcation point RJ-11 or RJ-31x jack
• For NFPA: Aligns expectations of all affected stakeholders: AHJs, alarm companies, voice providers, consumers and businesses
• For AHJs: Eliminates the need to evaluate voice technologies and develop own policies; creates clear accountability
• For alarm companies: Provides clear system design criteria that is uniform across all markets
• For voice providers: Provides clear expectations of what is required for fire alarm monitoring
• For customers: Provides cost saving from voice competition, eliminate additional costs and delays for design workarounds and further approvals, eliminate finger-pointing by alarm and voice providers.
SUMMARY OF NEW
NFPA 72® NATIONAL
NFPA 72 Model for MFVN Compliance
Managed Facilities-based Voice Networks and the National Fire Code – A Summary of New Rules Approving the Use of Non-Traditional Telephone Lines For Fire Alarm Monitoring
• Isn’t 24-hour standby power required since NFPA requires it, and "POTS" lines provide it? No. NFPA has allowed 8-hour standby power for voice lines since the 1980’s, when telcos began using 8 hour batteries in the remote terminal equipment that provides dialtone to homes and commercial buildings. Today, over 50% of all telco lines, nationally, are provided from these remote terminals.
• Is UL listing required for voice equipment attached to alarm equipment? Yes. NFPA 72 requires that both communications and fire alarm equipment "be UL listed for its purpose". On-premises voice equipment is UL listed under Telecommunications (UL® 60950). Fire alarm equipment is UL listed under Fire Alarm Systems (UL® 864).
• How can AHJs or alarm companies confirm that a voice provider meets these requirements? These parties may contact the voice provider to confirm the service conforms to all NFPA requirements.
CableLabs® has been actively collaborating with NFPA since 2005 to address this important issue.
For further information, please email:
For further information, see:
858 Coal Creek Circle | Louisville, CO 80027
303.661.9100 | www.cablelabs.com
NFPA 72 is available from: