18VAC85-20-122. Educational requirements: Graduates and former students of institutions not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board.
A. A graduate of an institution not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board shall present documentary evidence that he:
1. Was enrolled and physically in attendance at the institution's principal site for a minimum of two consecutive years and fulfilled at least half of the degree requirements while enrolled two consecutive academic years at the institution's principal site.
2. Has fulfilled the applicable requirements of § 54.1-2930 of the Code of Virginia.
3. Has obtained a certificate from the Educational Council of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), or its equivalent. Proof of licensure by the board of another state or territory of the United States or a province of Canada may be accepted in lieu of ECFMG certification.
4. Has had supervised clinical training as a part of his curriculum in an approved hospital, institution or school of medicine offering an approved residency program in the specialty area for the clinical training received or in a program acceptable to the board and deemed a substantially equivalent experience, if such training was received in the United States.
5. Has completed
two years one year of
satisfactory postgraduate training as an intern, resident, or clinical fellow.
The two years one year shall include at least 12 months in one
program or institution approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the
board for internship or residency training or in a clinical fellowship
acceptable to the board in the same or a related field. a. The board may substitute other postgraduate training or
study for one year of the two-year requirement when such training or study has
occurred in the United States or Canada and is: (1) An approved fellowship program; or (2) A position teaching medical students, interns, or
residents in a medical school program approved by an accrediting agency
recognized by the board for internship and residency training. b. The board may substitute continuous full-time
practice of five years or more with a limited professorial license in Virginia
and one year of postgraduate training in a foreign country in lieu of two
years one year of postgraduate training.
6. Has received a degree from the institution.
B. A former student who has completed all degree requirements except social services and postgraduate internship at a school not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board shall be considered for licensure provided that he:
1. Has fulfilled the requirements of subdivisions A 1 through 5 of this section;
2. Has qualified for and completed an appropriate supervised clinical training program as established by the American Medical Association; and
3. Presents a document issued by the school certifying that he has met all the formal requirements of the institution for a degree except social services and postgraduate internship.