12VAC5-630-271. Express geothermal well permits.
The issuance of an express geothermal permit is contingent upon proper registration and payment of application fees and applies to the construction of wells used solely for a closed-loop geothermal heating system.
A. Registration Statement. A single application and a single fee are required for any geothermal well system. The fee is the same as for a single private well.
A registration statement for closed loop construction permitting shall be made on a form provided and approved by the Division. The registration shall include the following information:
1. The property owner's name, address, and telephone number;
2. The address of and directions to the property;
3. The proposed use of the well;
4. The name, address, telephone number, and contractor license number of the well driller;
5. A statement signed by the property owner granting the department access to the site for the purpose of inspecting the property and the well during and after the well installation until the well is approved by the department or any required corrections are made;
6. A site plan, drawn to scale, showing the proposed well site(s), property boundaries, recorded easements, and accurate locations of actual or proposed sources of contamination (including but not limited to those listed in Table 3.1) within 100 feet of the proposed well site(s); and
7. A statement signed by the licensed well driller that the location and construction of the well(s) will comply with the requirements of this chapter.
B. Application fee. A single application fee is required for any geothermal well system, regardless of the number of wells included in the system. The fee is the same as for a single private well.
12VAC5-630-272. Issuance of express geothermal well construction permit, inspection and final approval..
A. Issuance of the express geothermal well permit. Upon receipt of a complete registration statement and the appropriate fee, the Department will acknowledge receipt of the registration statement and issue the permit with a copy given to the contractor.
The construction of the geothermal heating system may begin immediately upon submission of a complete registration statement and counter-signature denoting receipt by the Department.
B. Inspection. The Department, at its sole discretion, may inspect the closed-loop geothermal well anytime after acceptance of the registration statement until after the installation is approved.
If, upon inspection of the well, it is found that the well location does not comply with the minimum separation distances or any other provision of this chapter, no inspection statement shall be issued until the deficiencies have been corrected.
D. Final approval. Upon receipt of the Uniform Water Well Completion Report, as required in 12 VAC 5-630-440, and completion of any inspections deemed necessary to ensure compliance with this chapter, or unless the department has evidence to indicate that the well is not in compliance with the requirements of this chapter, the local health department will provide the owner with a statement that the wells are approved for use.
Recommended well yields for residential use
wells. Water system yields for residential use wells.
private drinking water systems that utilize one
or more Class III wells shall should be capable of supplying
water in adequate quantity for the intended usage. Failure to provide
adequate capacity may cause intermittent flows and negative pressures which may
cause contamination of the system through cross connections or other system
deficiencies. All Class III wells such systems shall should
have a capacity to produce 150 gallons per bedroom per day and be capable of
delivering a sustained flow of five gallons per minute per connection for 10
minutes. The system should be capable of providing at least 500 gallons per
hour for at least one hour if lawns or other residential areas are to be
irrigated. In general, residential use wells with yields less than 3 gallons
per minute require additional storage to provide uninterrupted service during
peak water use times.
The certified water well systems provider shall certify the storage capacity and the yield of the well on the Uniform Water Well Completion Report.
Application for Sewage Disposal and/or Water Supply Permit.
Water Supply and/or Sewage Disposal System Construction Permit.
Record of Inspection - Private Water Supply System.
Uniform Well Completion Report.
Registration Statement for Express Geothermal Heating System