Clinical Nurse Specialists
18VAC90-19-210. Clinical nurse specialist registration.
A. Initial registration. An applicant for initial registration as a clinical nurse specialist shall:
1. Be currently licensed as a registered nurse in Virginia or hold a current multistate licensure privilege as a registered nurse;
2. Submit evidence of current
clinical nurse specialist certification as required by § 54.1-3018.1
of the Code of Virginia or has have an exception available from
March 1, 1990, to July 1, 1990; and
3. Submit the required application and fee.
B. Renewal of registration.
1. Registration as a clinical nurse specialist shall be renewed
biennially at the same time the registered nurse license is renewed. If
registered as a clinical nurse specialist with a multistate licensure privilege
to practice in Virginia as a registered nurse, a licensee born in an
years year shall renew his license by the last day
of the birth month in even-numbered years and a licensee born in an
odd-numbered years year shall renew his license by the last day
of the birth month in odd-numbered years.
2. The clinical nurse specialist shall complete the renewal
form and submit it with the required fee. An attestation of current
national certification as a clinical nurse specialist is required
unless registered in accordance with an exception.
3. Registration as a clinical nurse specialist shall lapse if the registered nurse license is not renewed or the multistate licensure privilege is lapsed and may be reinstated upon:
a. Reinstatement of RN license or multistate licensure privilege;
b. Payment of reinstatement and current renewal fees; and
c. Submission of evidence of continued
certification as a clinical nurse specialist unless registered in
accordance with an exception.
18VAC90-19-220. Clinical nurse specialist practice.
A. The practice of a clinical nurse specialist shall be consistent with the education and experience required for clinical nurse specialist certification.
B. The clinical nurse specialist shall provide those advanced
nursing services that are consistent with the standards of specialist practice
as established by a national certifying organization for
specialty clinical nurse specialists and in accordance with the
provisions of Chapter 30 (§ 54.1-3000 et seq.) of Title 54.1 of the Code
C. Advanced practice as a clinical nurse specialist shall include performance as an expert clinician to:
1. Provide direct care and counsel to individuals and groups;
2. Plan, evaluate, and direct care given by others; and
3. Improve care by consultation, collaboration, teaching, and the conduct of research.