The Boards of Medicine and Nursing are seeking public comment on promulgation of regulations to implement HB793 (Chapter 776 of 2018 General Assembly), legislation to authorize nurse practitioners who meet certain qualifications to practice without a practice agreement with a patient care team physician.
In order to comply with the second enactment on the bill requiring regulations to be in effective within 280 days, the Boards will be adopting emergency regulations. The Committee of the Joint Boards of Nursing and Medicine and its Advisory Committee will meet on May 17th and will serve as the Regulatory Advisory Panel to develop recommended amendments to nurse practitioner regulations to implement the provisions of HB793.
Topics for consideration in adoption of regulations to amend Chapters 30 (Nurse Practitioner Licensure) and 40 (Prescriptive Authority) will be:
- Equivalent of at least five years of full-time clinical experience
- Routine practice in a practice area included within the category for which the NP was certified and licensed
- Requirements of an attestation of practice
- Fee associated with submission of attestation and issuance of autonomous designation
- Acceptance of “other evidence” demonstrating that the applicant met the requirements
- Endorsement of experience in other states
- Unprofessional conduct – falsification of attestation
Comment may be posted in a Public Comment Forum on the Virginia Regulatory Townhall or send to: Elaine.email@example.com. Comments sent by mail should be directed to:
Senior Policy Analyst
Department of Health Professions
9960 Mayland Drive
Henrico, VA 23233